St. Thomas is located in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and although only 32 square miles in size, it offers an incredible range of things to do. This is a laid back tropical paradise, with the white sand beaches and clear waters that everyone daydreams about. Whether you are looking for such adventure activities as snorkeling, scuba diving and sailing, or you just want to relax on the beach, you’ll love this easygoing island.
Cruise Port: Yes. St. Thomas is a popular stop for cruise ships on Eastern and Southern Caribbean itineraries. While the ships are in port, their passengers, even when they number in the thousands, are free to enjoy the island’s many enticements. Some of the cruise lines that stop in St. Thomas include Disney Cruises, Norwegian Cruises, Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruises.
Nearest Airport: Cyril E. King International Airport is located on Red Point on the southwest coast of the island.
- Magens Bay Beach - This gorgeous beach is considered one of the most beautiful in the world by National Geographic and Conde Nast.
- Coral World Ocean Park and Undersea Observatory - This fascinating nature park is a great place to experience marine life.
- Mountain Top - Climb this peak and admire the amazing panoramic views of the US and British Virgin Islands.
- Ziplines - Whoosh through the treetops along a thrilling zipline course with aerial platforms and skywalks.
- Boating - Charter a boat to take you exploring in the beautiful private coves.
- Kayaking - Take a Cas Cay Ecotour on a kayak through the red mangrove lagoons of Cas Cay to view herons, pelicans, egrets, stingrays and more.
- Scuba Diving - Many local tour companies offer guided scuba tours that explore the fascinating and beautiful underwater world.
History and Culture
- Charlotte Amalie - Take a walk along the cobblestone streets and alleyways of Charlotte Amalie, where you can admire the beautiful 17th century Danish fortifications.
- Legislature Building - Check out this stunning, historical building, erected in 1874.
- Fort Christian - The oldest standing structure in the Virgin Islands, this fort features imposing stone walls and a museum with antique furniture and other artifacts.
Cuisine (Dining Choices)
- The Old Stone Farmhouse - (Caribbean, Seafood) This lovely and romantic restaurant is set within a historic 200-year-old stable on an old sugar plantation. Try the local mahi mahi with key lime buerre blanc.
- Gladys’ Cafe - (Caribbean, Breakfast) This charming favorite of locals offers simple home cooking that will fill you up, incuding fried fish and grits or salt fish and dumplings.
- Fish Tails - (Caribbean, Seafood) This excellent seafood spot receives fresh catches daily and features such delicious dishes as po’boys, fish pastas and Caribbean lobster.
Who is it for:
- Honeymooners - St. Thomas is a wonderfully romantic destination for couples who want to celebrate an anniversary, honeymoon or any other special occasion. With its stunning beaches, romantic restaurants and luxurious resorts, you can enjoy many special moments here.
- Families - The island is also a great destination for families as there are many kid-friendly things to do.
- Thrill-Seekers - Adventurous travellers who love active sports such as snorkeling, swimming and diving will be thrilled by the challenges and beauty of the location.
Best Time to Visit St.Thomas: December - March
Cheapest Time to Visit St.Thomas: April - November
Health and Safety Information
- Late June to October is hurricane season, which can also be rather warm, and you can expect plenty of rain.
- Keep an eye on your belongings, and do some online research in advance to learn areas to avoid, especially at night.
- The best way to get around the islands is a car in either a rental or a local taxi, though be prepared to drive on the left side of the road.
- Language: The Official Language is English but you might also hear Spanish or French Creole spoken.
- Currency: US Dollar
- Electricity and outlets: Electrical outlets in St.Thomas USVI use the same current as North America, 110 volts.
- Passport and Immigration: For Americans, a valid US Passport is required, but no visa.
- For Canadians, a valid Canadian Passport is required but no visa. Visitors should come with tickets and documents for a return or onward trip.
- Drinking Water: In the cities tap water is safe to drink, though the water in rural areas can cause problems for those unaccustomed to it. Bottled water is readily available.
- Time zone: Atlantic Time Zone (UTC-04:00)
- St. Thomas was purchased by the USA from Denmark for $25 million.
- It is home to 51,000 residents, half of all residents of the US Virgin Islands.
- St. Thomas is the only US jurisdiction where motorists drive on the left-hand side of the road.